Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Fake Plastic Trees

Her green plastic watering can
For her fake Chinese rubber plant
In the fake plastic earth
That she bought from a rubber man
In a town full of rubber plans
To get rid of itself
It wears her out, it wears her out
It wears her out, it wears her out


Worklife has been becoming more and more real.  Being from a bubble in Atlanta, I don't think i've ever really known what it's like to have a normal job.  I never had to; nobody ever told me "Astrid, please get a job."  The only thing I ever did was work at a putt putt place when i was 15.  I was a token girl.  But i quickly got fired cos all I'd do is drink slushies and steal tokens to give to my friends.

Right now, I'm perched at a Coffee Bean right down the street from my work.  It's amazing how happy I get when I hear the words "free wifi".  It's 930am on the west coast and I'm not expected in the office till later so it's the perfect time to update.

Back to the work routine.  My responsibilities have been getting more and more hectic.  Things are starting to pile up and I had a mini-melt down yesterday because my boss asked me to do something I did not want to do.  *le sigh* I guess i'm just supposed to do what I'm told...which I did...eventually.  I called my sister to vent and it was super noisy in the background because i guess she was at a party or something, and she told me to breathe through my nose and out my mouth.  She told me i need to detox because i'm acting very edgy. 

I've learned that LA is about fluff.  My friend Mark says that things are all about reputation and who you know...so you have to learn to talk the talk. This is not what I'm used to.  It's not my way of thinking.  It's not my logic.  I mean, is it all supposed to be bullshit?  Maybe part-time bullshit?  I hope I can learn how soon cos if i don' t, I don't think i'll survive. I'm still having a hard time deciphering whether or not people are being honest or more importantly real.  It's strange, cos in Atlanta, if you go around spouting off your resume and who you know, you'll be hated REAL quick and quarantined into loserville forever.  And then, I hang out with my good friend Dooks in Westwood or Silver Lake and I realize that it's just the industry that I'm in.  The entertainment industry is all about saying something's pretty when it's really hideous. It's about telling people you own your own company while conveniently failing to mention that it's a one-man LLC.
(pics courtesy of Doshirak)

I'm fascinated by everything here.  I'm learning more and more about LA culture and I hope that it will continue: the good, the bad, and the fugalicious.

For all you music lavas, here's our current playlist.  I lava it.  Except Jungle Drum...it grates on  your nerves, but my sister insists.
  1. Metric - Help I'm Alive
  2. Jem - Its amazing
  3. Little Boots - REMEDY
  4. The Bird and the Bee - My Love
  5. Emiliana Torrini - Jungle Drum
  6. Little Boots - Tune Into My Heart
  7. Morgan Page - The Longest Road Ft. Lissie (Deadmau5 Remix)
  8. Morgan Page - Fight For You
  9. Scanners - Salvation
  10. Beach House - Zebra
  11. Massive Attack Ft. Hope Sandoval - Paradise Circus
  12. Plastiscines - I Am Down
  13. Sohodolls - Stripper
  14. Sohodolls - Bang Bang Bang Bang
  15. The Bird And The Bee - Love Letter To Japan (Ivan Demsoff Remix)
  16. Sohodolls - Right And Right Again
  17. Sohodolls - No Regrets
  18. The Beatards - RICH GIRLS (The Virgins Remix)
  19. The Bird and The Bee - Birthday
  20. Lisa Germano - Reptile
  21. Santigold - Lights Out
  22. The Sounds - Painted By Numbers
  23. Say Hi - November Was White, December Was Grey
  24. All Wrong And The Plans Change - I Get Down
  25. Immoor - Bows And Arrows

    1 comment:

    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      ReplyDelete